Please Note: Due to budget constraints, this program is currently on hold.
Eastern State Penitentiary offers scholarships to reimburse the costs of transportation (up to $200) for qualifying K - 12 schools. Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Scholarships will only cover bus or Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) transportation cost.
- 51% of the student population must qualify for free or reduced-price lunches through the National School Lunch Program.
- Only available to K - 12 schools.
- Schools within the School District of Philadelphia are given priority.
- Eastern State Penitentiary will reimburse your school by check. Eastern State Penitentiary will not pay the bus company or SEPTA directly.
- Your school must handle all transportation logistics. These logistics include:
For Buses: contacting a bus company, scheduling a bus, and/or communicating to the bus company the pick-up and drop-off times and locations.
For SEPTA: planning route, deciding mode of transportation, and token/ticket purchasing. For more information regarding SEPTA, visit http://www.septa.org/. If using SEPTA, please ensure that all members of the tour group arrive on time for the scheduled tour slot.
- In order for your school to be reimbursed, a copy of the paid in full bus invoice or SEPTA token receipt must be presented upon arrival or received by December 31, 2021.
- If the school cancels the field trip and fails to cancel the transportation arrangement, the school will be responsible for any transportation cancellation fees/penalties or the cost of the transportation.
How to Apply:
- Applications must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled visit. Failure to submit the application in advance will disqualify the school from participating in the program.
Application form temporarily closed. Due to budget constraints, this program is currently on hold.