Please Note: Due to COVID-19, this program is currently on hold. Check back soon for more information.
Eastern State Penitentiary offers scholarships to reimburse the costs of transportation (up to $200) for qualifying K - 12 schools. Scholarships will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Scholarships will only cover bus or Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) transportation cost.
- 51% of the student population must qualify for free or reduced-price lunches through the National School Lunch Program.
- Only available to K - 12 schools.
- Schools within the School District of Philadelphia are given priority.
- Eastern State Penitentiary will reimburse your school by check. Eastern State Penitentiary will not pay the bus company or SEPTA directly.
- Your school must handle all transportation logistics. These logistics include:
For Buses: contacting a bus company, scheduling a bus, and/or communicating to the bus company the pick-up and drop-off times and locations.
For SEPTA: planning route, deciding mode of transportation, and token/ticket purchasing. For more information regarding SEPTA, visit http://www.septa.org/. If using SEPTA, please ensure that all members of the tour group arrive on time for the scheduled tour slot.
- In order for your school to be reimbursed, a copy of the paid in full bus invoice or SEPTA token receipt must be presented upon arrival or received by December 31, 2021.
- If the school cancels the field trip and fails to cancel the transportation arrangement, the school will be responsible for any transportation cancellation fees/penalties or the cost of the transportation.
How to Apply:
- Applications must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the scheduled visit. Failure to submit the application in advance will disqualify the school from participating in the program.