Fact Sheet - Hidden Lives Illuminated
June 24, 2019
- Presented by: Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site
- Supported by: Major support from The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, with additional support from OCF Coffee House.
- Twenty new, animated short films by currently-incarcerated artists at the Pennsylvania State Correctional Institution at Chester and Philadelphia’s Riverside Correctional Facility for Women.
- Additional guest films created by filmmakers close to the criminal justice system.
- All films will be projected onto a 20-by-30-foot area of Eastern State’s façade.
- Additional programs addressing topics in criminal justice will feature scholars, community leaders, activists, artists, victims’ advocates, and elected officials.
- Appropriate for all ages.
- Rain or shine.
- Free and open to the public. No reservations required.
- Dates: August 15, 2019 through September 12, 2019
- Screening Schedule: 40-minute screenings will occur at 7:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m., and 9:00 p.m. nightly. Films will change each week and center on a weekly theme.
- Week 1: The View from Inside (August 15 through August 21)
- Week 2: Criminal Justice Today (August 22 through August 28)
- Week 3: Family and Community Impact (August 29 through September 4)
- Week 4: Restorative Justice (September 5 through September 11)
- Finale (September 12) – On finale night, all 20 films will be screened. A documentary about the project will be screened.
- 2100 Fairmount Ave, Philadephia, PA 19130. Films will be screened outside Eastern State Penitentiary. Programs will take place inside OCF Coffee House.
- Eastern State Penitentiary is committed to deepening the conversation about criminal justice reform in the United States. With Hidden Lives Illuminated, the organization can structure these conversations around the literal voices of men and women living inside prisons today.