Thank you for your interest in Eastern State Penitentiary's artist proposal process!
Click here to view the artist proposal guidelines for our 2024 season.
We strongly recommend that applicants begin the proposal process by attending an art orientation. These informal tours/conversations give artists a chance to learn about the space, discuss what makes a proposal successful, and ask questions. There is no charge for attending an art orientation.
2023 Orientation Schedule:
Please use this link to RSVP for the artist orientation you wish to attend.
- January 27, 2023 at 12:00 pm EST (Virtual via Zoom; Click here to join.)
- February 18, 2023 at 12:30 pm EST (In person at Eastern State)
- April 15, 2023 at 3:00 pm EST (In person at Eastern State)
- May 4, 2023 at 3:00 pm EST (In person at Eastern State)
Proposal Deadline: Wednesday, June 14, 2023, 11:59 pm EST
Submission: Proposals can be uploaded electronically. A link to the submission portal will be available here on or before April 3, 2023.
If it is difficult or impossible to access the Internet or submit a proposal online, please write, call, or email us. Exceptions are possible, evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site
Artist Proposals — 2024 Season
2027 Fairmount Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Grace Period: There will be a 1-day grace period for all proposals. The online submission portal will close at 11:59 pm EST on Thursday, June 15, 2023, and no further submissions will be possible.
- Pre-recorded virtual art orientation
- Sample Proposals
- Linda Brenner’s proposal for The Ghost Cats, 2004.
- Dayton Castleman’s proposal for The End of the Tunnel, 2005.
- Ruth Scott Blackson's proposal for No Trace Without Resistance, 2015.
- Emily Waters' proposal for America's Ten Worst Prisons: The Plate Collection, 2015.
- Jesse Krimes' proposal for Apokaluptein16389067:II, 2015
- Current Installations
- Past Installations