The Education Team is responsible for facilitating all educational and historic programming during Halloween Nights including engaging with visitors in The Fair Chance Beer Garden, assisting visitors with the self-guided highlights audio tour, and leading guide-led flashlight tours of the Hospital.
Other responsibilities include maintaining a tidy and professional environment, performing basic maintenance and cleaning tasks, and setting up and breaking down the exhibits each evening. Please note that Educators will spend their workday in outdoor conditions.
You are a great fit for this job if you are:
- A natural at leading conversations, listening to conflicting perspectives, and creating a positive group dynamic even with the most difficult subject matter.
- Open, respectful, humble, and non-judgmental with a sense of humor.
- Willing to listen and learn while sharing knowledge.
- Flexible and adapt quickly.
- Exceptional in providing customer service in a fast-paced environment.
- Committed to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Able to work well on your own, but also enjoy collaboration and supporting your coworkers.
- Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Able to work evenings and weekends.
We especially encourage you to apply if you:
- Are enthusiastic about Halloween and fall celebrations.
- Speak more than one language.
- Live in a neighborhood close to Eastern State Penitentiary.
- Have a basic knowledge of the criminal justice system and incarceration.
- Consider yourself a creative person.
- Have an interest in storytelling.
Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site provides paid training that includes the history of the penitentiary, the complexities of today’s prison system, and tour techniques. No previous experience in education, museums or knowledge of incarceration is required.
Interested in a different kind of role? Return to the overview page to explore other open Halloween Nights positions.
2023 Education Team Interviews
All education team interviews are held at Eastern State Penitentiary. You do not need to make an appointment. Our hiring team typically interviews multiple people at the same time for a range of positions. You will first join a group Customer Service / Operations interview, then you will have a 1-on-1 interview with the Senior Education Manager. Please be ready to discuss why you are interested in a position on the education team.
Please fill out the Education Team Application focusing on the availability calendar. Please bring your completed application (REQUIRED) and your resume (optional) with you to your interview.
Monday, July 10 (6-8 pm) Wednesday, July 12 (6-8 pm) Wednesday, July 26 (6-8 pm) Saturday, July 29 (1-3 pm) Monday, July 31 (6-8 pm) Wednesday, August 2 (6-8 pm) Monday, August 14 (6-8 pm) Wednesday, August 16 (6-8 pm) Monday, August 28 (6-8 pm)
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment. ESPHS strongly believes in second chances and, as such, is committed to providing appropriate employment opportunities to those who have been incarcerated. As a condition of employment, all individuals who accept an employment offer must complete a criminal background check. Eastern State will review any criminal record and make appropriate employment decisions in accordance with applicable law and its policies.